June 19, 2021
357 S. Livingston Ave.
Livingston, NJ 07039
Juneteenth Flag Raising and Celebration
Saturday, June 19, 2021
Livingston’s first-ever Juneteenth Celebrations and flag-raising ceremony will be held on Saturday, June 19th at 6:00 pm. The events will be held at the Livingston Town Hall, located at 357 S. Livingston Avenue, and will be hosted by the Livingston Committee for Diversity and Inclusion and Livingston Township.
Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Juneteenth celebrates African American freedom and achievement while encouraging continuous self-development and respect for all cultures. The LCDI and the Township are proud to raise the Juneteenth Flag for the first time in Livingston, and promote all residents to join the festivities, bring a food basket for dinner, and enjoy music under the sky at the Oval after we raise the Juneteenth flag.
Saturday, June 19th will offer, an informative and fun-filled event for the entire family. Participants will hear from Mayor Shawn Klein, Board of Education President Samantha Messer, and Dr. Dakashna Lang of Heritage Middle School. The event will also feature Livingston’s Jessica Woodlee singing the National Anthem, and the Peter Creekmore Trio providing live music. The Juneteenth events will celebrate the richness of Black culture and highlight Black history, stories, businesses, and artists, and will be held during the week of June 13th via Facebook Live on the Livingston Committee for Diversity & Inclusion Facebook page — Facebook.com/LCDINJ — except for the evening events on Saturday, June 19th, as noted below.
Facebook Live at Facebook.com/LCDI/NJ:
- Sunday, June 13, 6:00 PM: Wine & Paint with artist Simone Anthony-Brown
- Monday, June 14, 6:00-7:00 PM: Entrepreneurship workshop featuring Livingston businesses Scarlet Bloom and new restaurant "A Mother's Touch"
- Tuesday, June 15, 6:00 PM: Anthony Keys will read the children's book "Juneteenth for Mazie" by Floyd Cooper - for children from preschool to grade 3
- Thursday, June 17, 6:00-7:00 PM: History of Juneteenth
- Friday, June 18, 6:00-7:00 PM: Sankofa Storytelling with Shirley Johnson
Livingston Town Hall, 357 S. Livingston Avenue/Memorial Oval
For more information visit the Livingston Committee for Diversity & Inclusion on Facebook at Facebook.com/LCDINJ.
- Saturday, June 19, 6:00 PM: Raising the Juneteenth Flag at Town Hall, with Mayor Shawn Klein and School Board president Samantha Messer.
- Following the flag raising, all are invited to bring snacks or dinner with them across the street to Memorial Oval, where they can have their dinner along with friends and neighbors while enjoying a jazz concert, and other festivities.