The New Jersey State Police has made major changes to the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS) effective with applications filed after October 1, 2020. The main change directly affecting applicants is that both Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase Handguns are now issued electronically to applicants. Rather than printed documents, applicants will now receive an Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) and/or an Electronic Permit to Purchase a Handgun (E-PERMIT) via the FARS portal. The previously issued yellow Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards are still valid and are still accepted at all NJ Licensed Firearms Dealers and do not have to be replaced.
If you need guidance with the application process or have questions, please contact the Records Bureau at 973-992-3000 option 1, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional firearms information is also available on the NJ State Police Firearms website. In order to obtain a firearm, you must meet eligibility requirements and comply with the statutes which govern firearms purchases in the state of New Jersey.
FIREARMS APPLICATION & REGISTRATION SYSTEM (FARS) PORTAL
General Application Information:
All applications for Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase a Handgun must be submitted electronically via the New Jersey State Police FARS portal (www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS) . The Livingston Police began using this portal in late 2019 and it replaces the previous procedure where residents dropped off completed paper applications and other documentation. The online application is applicant-driven so please ensure you have entered accurate telephone numbers and email addresses for both yourself and your references. Although your social security number is not mandatory, the application processing will be delayed without it.
The FARS portal is used for applying for the following:
- Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards (E-FID)
- Permits to Purchase Handguns (E-Permit)
- Replacement of Lost or Stolen FID Card
- Replacement of Mutilated FID Card
- Change of Address on FID Card
- Change of Name on FID Card
- Change of Sex on FID Card
Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID)
This is required in the State of New Jersey for the purchase of ammunition and any type of long gun such as rifles and shotguns. When an application for an E-FID is approved, the applicant will receive an email containing a link to the E-FID Card and an Access Key that allows you to download the E-FID Card.
A Permit of Purchase a Handgun (E-Permit)
This is required by law to purchase a handgun in New Jersey. A separate E-Permit is required for each handgun purchase and you may apply for multiple E-Permits in an application. You must be over 21 years old to apply for and purchase a handgun in New Jersey. When an application for an E-Permit is approved, the applicant will receive an email from FARS advising of the approval of the permit(s) application. The actual E-PERMIT will be contained on FARS and can be activated by any NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer at the time of purchase. E-PERMITS will be issued with an initial 90-day expiration date and will renew for an additional 90 days before its final expiration date (180-days from issue date). After its final 180-day expiration date, the E-PERMIT is no longer valid and cannot be renewed.
Applicants should anticipate the process taking approximately thirty days from the date of receipt of the application. Incomplete or missing information may delay the process, as will a delay in your fingerprint clearance or the failure of your references to respond in a timely manner. Unusual events, such as COVID-19, many also create an extremely high volume of applications and significantly delays may occur. Applications will be processed as they are received.
Fees due to the Livingston Police Department:
- $50.00 – Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID)
- $25.00 – Each Handgun Purchase Permit (E-PERMIT)
- No fee for duplicate, lost, mutilated or change of address E-FID Cards
- All fees are due upon receipt of the Livingston Police email confirming your application submission and, per NJAIC13:54-1.4, prior to the completion of our background investigation. Failure to make the required payment will delay and/or prevent the final approval of your application. Cash, check or money order made payable to the Township of Livingston is acceptable and should be brought to the Records Bureau on the second floor of Police Headquarters. The Records Bureau is open Monday-Friday, 8AM-4PM.
FARS Application Instructions and Procedures:
First Time Applicants:
First time applicants seeking to purchase a handgun should apply for both an Initial FID Card and E-Permit. If you are not looking to purchase a handgun, apply for an Initial FID Card and omit selecting the E-Permit election. You will need to be fingerprinted and MUST print out the IdentoGo NJ Universal Fingerprinting Form generated at the completion of your application. Please follow the prompts and be fingerprinted promptly. IdentoGo will collect a fee for their services.
Returning Applicants (those already possessing a valid Firearms ID Cards):
Do not apply for an Initial FID Card if you have been issued one in the past; doing so will result in the withdrawal of your application and you will need to reapply and repay the FARS application fees. You may apply for E-PERMITS and/or any changes to your existing FID Card by referencing your existing SBI Number. You will not need to be fingerprinted. Upon completion of the online application, you would have completed what was the paper S.T.S.33 and 212A Forms. At the end of your application, FARS will collect a $21 fee for the State Police to conduct a check of your fingerprint records.
Applicants who have resided outside of New Jersey in the past 10 years:
You must complete a paper copy of Form 66, Consent for Mental Health Records Search (www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-066.pdf). Please deliver the form to Police Headquarters, Records Bureau.
FARS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Visit the FARS website: www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
- Complete the Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and / or Handgun Purchase Permit – Online S.T.S. 033 Form.
- Livingston Police Department ORI Number is NJ0071000. Your application will be denied if an incorrect ORI number is used.
- You will need information for two reputable references. Family members can be references. Please advise your references to complete the emailed reference request upon receipt.
- Carefully review all of the information you enter. Incorrect information may delay or void the processing of your application. Thoroughly check the Review page and edit any incorrect information prior to final submission.
- Print the Application and Confirmation Page at the end of the application submission. If applicable, print the Fingerprint Form. Keep these documents until process is complete.
- You will receive an e-mail from the Livingston Police Records Bureau confirming receipt of your application submission. The email will confirm the documents requested in the application along with instructions to bring your non-refundable payment due the Livingston P.D.
- The FARS portal will send you automated notices when your state-run background check is completed and when your references respond.
- Once the processing of your application is completed, you will receive an e-mail from the Livingston Police Records Bureau advising that your application has been approved and will provide details regarding your documents. You will also receive an automated email from the FARS portal containing the E-FID download link and E-Permit approval notice.
Permits to Carry a Handgun:
Applicants seeking permits to carry a handgun must still submit their paper applications. Applications for a permit to carry cannot be submitted via the FARS portal system and must be delivered to the Livingston Police Headquarters Records Bureau.