Holiday Safety Tips
- When choosing a live tree, be sure the needles do not pull off easily, if they do the tree may already be too dry. When the tree’s stump is bounced on the ground a dry tree will lose a large amount of needles while a freshly cut tree will lose only a few.
- Never set up trees near radiators, furnaces, or heating appliances, or in a doorway or traffic high area.
- When selecting an artificial tree, be sure it is clearly labeled as fire resistant.
- Properly maintain the tree by checking the needles for dryness and be sure the tree stand is filled with water.
- Never use candles near a live tree or other flammable material.
- Use only United Laboratories (UL) approved lighting designed for tree displays.
- All candles should be placed away from any combustible materials and out of the reach of both children and pets.
- Candles should always be in a holder to prevent them from tipping over with an area to catch dripping wax. Candles should also be positioned on a heat resistant surface such as ceramic to prevent heat transfer to the furniture or shelving they are on.
- Never leave burning candles unattended and never fall asleep while candles are burning. Candle fires account for a large majority of residential structure fires throughout the country.
Electric Decorations / Lights
- Be sure the lights and decorations you purchase are U.L. Laboratory tested and only use them as indicated on the packaging, for example, do not use lights listed only for indoor use outside.
- Check the cords of each set of lights or decorations for cracks, bare wiring, loose connections, or any other damage before using; do not use or attempt to repair such sets, throw them away and purchase new sets.
- Check the bulbs for damage or cracks, replace any damages bulbs before using the lights.
- When setting up lights or decorations, use insulated staples (avoid using nails or tacks) and be sure that they are securely in place.
- Do not overload electrical outlets, adapters, or extension cords; always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Keep children away from all lights and electrical decorations.
- Never leave lights or electrical decorations on while sleeping.