- Hydrant Permits and Flow Tests
Hydrant Permits and Flow Tests
Hydrants are typically used by outside parties for temporary/construction water or to perform fire flow tests.
Per ordinance §316-14. It shall be unlawful for any person to furnish water to others for any purpose, open any fire hydrants of the Township or turn on water unless a special permit is obtained from the Division of Water and Sewers. Persons seeking to open a fire hydrant for any purpose shall be required to obtain, in addition to the special permit, a hydrant meter from the Township of Livingston Division of Water and Sewers.
All request to use a fire hydrant must be submitted in writing to email@example.com. For long term commercial construction projects the permit will be issued via the construction water. For long term single family home construction projects, a water stub or temporary yard hydrant can be used in lieu of a fire hydrant. For temporary water supply for an event or short term construction such as paving, a deposit will be required and a hydrant meter will be supplied.
- Construction water fees are based on the total estimated cost of construction. The fees can only be calculated once building permits/demolition permits have been issued.
- Permission to use the hydrant will only be granted after fees have been paid. Only a single designated hydrant can be used.
- A hydrant cannot be used without a backflow preventer. The site contractor must provide an install an RPZ or DCVA backflow preventer. This backflow preventer will remain on the single designated hydrant for the duration of the project and cannot be relocated without permission.
- Only proper hydrant wrenches will be permitted to be used on the hydrant. NO PIPE WRENCHES! Improper hydrant use will result in the permission to use the hydrant being revoked. Any damages to the hydrant will be charged to the property owner and site contractor.
- A surety deposit in the amount of $3,000 to guarantee against damage to the meter or hydrant..
- A hydrant meter will be issued an to a single designated hydrant. The hydrant meter cannot be relocated and no alternate hydrants can be used.
- Only proper hydrant wrenches will be permitted to be used on the hydrant. NO PIPE WRENCHES! Improper hydrant use will result in the permission to use the hydrant being revoked and forfeiture of the security deposit. Any damages to the hydrant will result in forfeiture of they security deposit.
- Surety deposits will be returned following satisfactory inspection of the hydrant and meter for damage by Township personnel and payment of all outstanding meter rental and water charges by the Applicant.
- The water bill will include the meter billed at a rate of $15.00 per day, until returned to the Township, plus metered water charges.
Hydrant Flow Test
Requests to perform a flow test must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Township only witnesses the flow test. They do not provide any equipment or perform the test. There is $50 fee that can be paid on the day of the test with a check made out to the "Township of Livingston". Flow tests can be performed Wednesday or Thursday at 10:30AM, subject to the availability of Township Staff.