Here are some simple tips for you and your family to ensure safe grilling.
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should ONLY be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed at least 15 feet from your home.
- Children and pets should be at least 3 feet away from the grill area.
- Keep the grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- NEVER leave a grill unattended.
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. NEVER add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- When you are done grilling, let the coals COMPLETELY cool before disposing them in a metal container.
For Propane Grills
Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a leak, by smell or by the soapy bubble test, and there is NO FLAME, turn off both the gas tank and the grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before you use it again.
** If you smell gas while cooking, turn the grill off immediately and call 9-1-1 **