- How Do I...
We will not collect personally identifiable information about you when you visit our website unless you choose to provide that information to us. We do not give, share, sell, or transfer any personal information to a third party.
Collection and Use of Information
Server Log / Log Analysis Tools
The Township of Livingston utilizes server logs and log analysis tools to create summary statistics about the use of the website. The summary statistics are used for purposes such as assessing what information is of most interest to users, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas. The following information is collected for this analysis.
- Name, domain and numerical internet address of the host computer (usually your ISP). This tells us which ISPs people use to connect to our sites.
- Date and time you accessed the website. This helps us make sure we have the resources to help all the people who use the site at peak times.
- Internet address of the web page you came from. This tells us how people find the site.
- Pages you visited. This tells us what is popular/helpful/interesting.
- Browser you use. This allows us to keep our site accessible to as many people as possible.
For site management functions, aggregated information is collected for analysis and statistical purposes. The Township does not report or use this information in any manner that would reveal personally identifiable information and does not release this information to any outside parties unless required to do so under applicable law.
For site security purposes and to ensure the site remains available to all users, the Township uses software to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or to otherwise cause damage to the site. Anyone using this website expressly consents to such monitoring.
We track the keywords that are entered into our search engine to measure interest in specific topics, but we do not track which terms a particular user enters.
Personally identifiable information contained in a question or comment sent to the Township of Livingston in an email message or in an online form submitted to the Township will be used by the Township to respond to the request and to analyze trends. The Township may redirect the message to another Township department or person who is in a better position to answer the question. We treat email the same way we treat letters sent to the Township.
Email Subscription List
The site provides users the opportunity to subscribe to and unsubscribe from informational mailing lists at LivingstonNJ.org/Join. We do request information about our visitors when they utilize our mailing list form to determine which email addresses are added to or removed from our lists. Site users are free to unsubscribe at will using this form should they opt not to receive future communications from us.
The Township of Livingston has restricted discussion group lists. Neither the restricted discussion group lists nor the Township websites are a public forum for free discussion. These restricted lists exist to serve the Township’s need to make useful and practical information available and facilitates provisions of a Township service or furthers another specifically articulated purpose of the Township. Voluntary use of Township of Livingston restricted discussion email lists may reveal personal information to current and future users and administrators of these lists.
The Township uses web-based forms. Personally identifiable information collected from these forms has a specified use (e.g., registration, applications, survey response, etc.) and the information is used by the Township only for that purpose.
From time to time, online surveys are being conducted on Township’s Website. It is the Township’s policy that confidential information gathered in these online surveys is used only for the research purposes indicated in the survey. Unless otherwise noted on the specified survey, your answers are confidential and individual responses will not be shared with other parties unless required by the State of New Jersey Open Public Records Act. Aggregate data from surveys may be shared with external third parties.
The Township of Livingston website enables you to pay for services online with a credit card. These transactions are encrypted. It is the Township’s policy that confidential information you enter in the transaction is used only for the purposes described in that transaction.
Open Public Records Act and Legal Disclosure
All information collected from the Township of Livingston website, including the summary server log information, emails sent to the website, and information collected from web-based forms, is subject to the provisions of State of New Jersey Open Public Records Act. Information about the State of New Jersey Open Public Records Act is available from the State of New Jersey Government Records Council at http://www.state.nj.us/opra.
Links to Non-Township of Livingston Sites
If the Township of Livingston makes any material changes to the way we use your personally identifiable information, we will post the changes here.
Disclaimer, Acceptance of Use, Indemnification, and Linking Policy
Information presented on this website and the tools on it is collected, maintained, and provided for the convenience of the user. While every effort is made to keep such information accurate and up-to-date, the Township of Livingston does not certify or warrant the authenticity, accuracy (including, but not limited to, errors of scale, resolution, rectification, positional accuracy, development methodology, time period, environmental, and climatic conditions specific to GIS data, quality, reliability, completeness, content, suitability or timeliness of information on these pages. Web site information is subject to change, removal, or relocation without notice.
This information is provided on an "as is" basis. Any person or entity relying on any information obtained from these files or tools does so at his or her own risk.
The Township of Livingston specifically disclaims any and all liability for any special, indirect, exemplary, incidental, or consequential claims or damages that may result from providing the website or the information it contains, or from the use, misuse, or inability to use this site or tools, including, but not limited to, loss of anticipated profits or benefits arising out of use or reliance on the data. The act of distribution of information or tools does not constitute or imply such warranty. The Township of Livingston is neither responsible nor liable for any viruses or other contamination of or damage to your system arising out or use of the site or the material contained on the site.
The Township of Livingston does not endorse any of the products, vendors, consultants, or documentation referenced in this website. Any mention of vendors, products, or services is for informational or opinion purposes only.
The Township of Livingston will make an effort to correct errors brought to our attention. Use of e-mail and any messaging system shall in no circumstance be deemed to constitute legal notice to the Township of Livingston, with respect to any existing or potential claim or cause of action against the Township or any of its agencies, officers, employees, agents, or representatives, where notice to the Township is required by any federal, state or local laws, ordinances, provisions, rules, or regulations. Notice of any claim must be filed in writing with:
Township of Livingston
357 S. Livingston Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
Acceptance of Use
You acknowledge that the content of the Township of Livingston website is for information only. By using our website, you also agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these terms shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Trenton, New Jersey, and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of those courts for purposes of litigating any such action. Further, you agree that these terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey, without giving any effect to any principles of conflict of laws.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, by using the Township of Livingston website, the user agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Township of Livingston, New Jersey, its agencies, officers, employees, representatives, and agents from and against all suits, actions, losses, damages, claims, or liability of any character, type, or description, including all expenses of litigation, court costs, and attorney's fees arising out of the user's use of this website and information contained on this website.
This policy applies to all websites maintained by the Township of Livingston. Township of Livingston websites contain links to other World Wide Web internet sites and resources. The Township is not responsible for, and accepts no liability for, the availability of these outside resources. Linked websites are not under the control of, nor maintained by, the Township of Livingston. The Township of Livingston is not responsible for the content of these websites – which can and do change frequently – or for any internal links contained in the displayed websites. In addition, inclusion of the linked websites does not constitute an endorsement or promotion by the Township of Livingston of any person or organizations sponsoring the displayed websites. These sites are not intended to create a public forum. The Township reserves the right to change this policy without notice or warning at any time.
Township of Livingston websites include:
- The Township of Livingston
- The Township of Livingston Public Library
- The Township of Livingston Police Department
Links from the Township of Livingston Websites
The purpose of the Township of Livingston websites is to promote the programs, services, policies, and objectives of the Township. The Township reserves the right to refuse to post any website links or to delete links already posted at any time, in conformance with this policy, without notice.
Every link must undergo review to determine its relevance and appropriateness. The following criteria will be used to decide whether to grant request for Township website links.
The Township will consider providing links to websites for:
- U.S., New Jersey, or Essex County governmental agencies as well as other websites maintained by or on behalf of international, national, state, regional, or local governmental or public educational agencies.
- Agencies, organizations and companies sponsoring or otherwise participating in Township activities as related to that Township activity.
- Links which provide a public service to the community with regard to emergency information, provide links to public and private utility service companies, and provide links to websites that contain pertinent life-sustaining, public safety, and public health information.
- Links to international, national, state, regional or Township professional organizations at the discretion of the departments whose activities pertain to such professions.
- Informational links provided by departments that pertain to the areas of knowledge the departments are involved in or have knowledge of. (Specifically, but not limited to, links as determined by Information Technology, the Library, Public Health, and Inspections)
- Links which promote the economic development and health of the Township. (Specifically, but not limited to, the Business Improvement District.)
- Links to agencies or websites which have awarded prizes or status to the Township of Livingston, although the Township of Livingston reserves the right to not link to award granting entities at the discretion of the departments involved.
- Links to search engines or directories or mapping engines, which provide useful information at the sole discretion of the Township of Livingston and its departments.
The Township will not provide links to websites for:
- Businesses or non-profit organizations unless they fit any of the criteria stated above.
- Promotion of illegal materials or information.
- Political campaign information or endorsements.
- Political organizations or other organizations advocating a local, state, or federal issue.
- Adult material not related to health education.
- Individual or personal homepages.