Watering Your Lawn
Livingston’s Township Code restricts outdoor watering to three days per week and to the times of day when watering is most efficient. This is an important part of Livingston’s approach to conserving water in our town.
The watering schedule for each homeowner varies based on street address and watering method. Read on to learn your designated days.
When You Can Water
- If your house number is even, water on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- If your house number is odd, water on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
- If you have no house number, water on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
What Time of Day You Can Water
- If you use a hose or hose-end sprinkler, water between 6 pm and 9 am, for a maximum of 30 minutes per lawn section per day.
- If you use an automatic conventional irrigation system, water between Midnight and 9 am.
- Rotary sprinklers may be set for a maximum of 50 minutes per lawn section per day.
- Mist sprinklers may be used for a maximum of 15 minutes per lawn section per day.
If you use a WaterSense Certified Smart Controller, your home/business is exempt from the three-days-per-week restriction. Smart Controllers must be registered with the Township. Learn how to register, find a WaterSense-approved model, and download the form here.
Furthermore outdoor irrigation necessary for the establishment of newly sodded or seeded grass lawns or landscaping within the first 14 consecutive days of planting.
Read the Township Code Section 316-20 in full, including other exemptions.