Elections & Voting
NEW: No Voting at Northland Recreation Center this November!
If have previously voted at Northland, it is very important that you keep your sample ballot, which lists your district number and polling location. Please see Polling Places for more information.
Voting in Person
New Jersey will offer in-person early voting for the November 2, 2021 election.
Early in-person voting will only be offered at ten locations in Essex County. The closest location for Livingston's in-person voting will be at:
New Education Center at South Mountain Recreation Complex
560 Northfield Ave., West Orange
There is NO early in-person voting at any location in Livingston.
All registered voters will be able to cast their ballot in person, using a voting machine, during a nine-day period prior to Election Day: Saturday, October 23 through Sunday, October 31, 2021.
If you are registered to vote by mail in the 2021 General Election, you must opt out by August 31, 2021 in order to cast a ballot in person on a voting machine at an early voting location.
- To opt out of voting by mail, call the Essex County Clerk at 973-621-4921 by August 31.
- Find out if you're an active "Vote by Mail" voter at Vote.NJ.Gov under Am I Registered?
More information: Top 5 Things to Know About In-Person Early Voting (PDF)
- All Essex County voting locations have new voting machines.
- Voting in Essex County is now officially done on paper ballots, whether mailed in or at a polling location.
- ** Know Your District — Save Your Sample Ballot! **
- Your sample ballot has all the information you need -- bring it with you to your polling location on Election Day.
- You can visit the Essex County Board of Elections website for helpful videos and answers to all your election and voting questions.
- Poll workers are not allowed to accept mail-in ballots this year.
- Jump to: Returning your mail-in ballot
Livingston has 3 polling locations:
- Livingston Senior/Community Center – 204 Hillside Avenue, Lower Level entrance
- Livingston Town Hall – 357 S. Livingston Avenue, Main Lobby
- Livingston Public Library – 10 Robert H. Harp Drive, Meeting Room
No Voting at Northland Recreation Center this November!
If you have previously voted at Northland, it is very important that you keep your sample ballot, which lists your district number and polling location.
- Districts 1, 6, 7, 13, 20, 23, and 24 voters will now vote at the Livingston Public Library
- District 2 voters will now vote at the Livingston Senior/Community Center
Polls are open 6:00 am - 8:00 pm. Find your polling place on your sample ballot or use New Jersey's Polling Place Search Tool.
See below for information on the options for returning your mail-in ballot.
Watch: How to Vote by Mail (Essex County)
Voting By Mail
You can still vote by mail in the November 2, 2021 Election.
Apply for a vote-by-mail ballot and return it in one of the ways below.
Returning Your VBM Ballot
VBM Ballots can be mailed at the Post Office, placed in a standard mailbox, delivered to the Essex County Board of Elections Office, or placed in an Essex County Mail-In Ballot Drop-Off Box. See information below for each option.
Vote-by-mail ballots CANNOT be returned to your polling place for this election.
|Returning your VBM ballot:||Instructions:|
|by USPS Mail||Ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day at 8:00 pm and be received by your County's Board of Elections on or before November 8.|
|to the Essex County Board of Elections Office|
(465 Dr. Martin Luther King Dr. Room 411 Newark, NJ 07102)
|Ballot must be delivered by 8:00 pm on Election Day.|
|to a Secure Ballot Box Location in Essex County (View locations here)||Ballot must be in the drop-box by 8:00 pm on Election Day.|
| The Secure Ballot Box in Livingston is located outside the |
rear entrance of Livingston Town Hall, 357 S. Livingston Avenue.
Dropping Off Someone Else's Completed (Voted) Ballot
What is a "Bearer"?
- Anyone who carries or transports a "cast" (completed) vote for someone else is considered a "Bearer".
- Bearers are limited to submitting three (3) non-household ballots per election.
- Exception: Authorized Bearers may transport up to five (5) ballots in an election if those voters are immediate family members residing in the same household as the Bearer.
- The Bearer MUST SIGN the "Bearer Portion" of the outer envelope in the presence of the voter when taking custody of the ballot.
- Any Bearer Ballots that exceed the limit MUST BE REJECTED.
- If the Bearer is hand-delivering the ballot to the county Board of Elections, then s/he MUST SHOW ID AND SIGN the Bearer Book.
- It is against the law for anyone except the voter to mail or transport their completed ballot unless the outer envelope is sealed and the "Bearer Portion" is completed.
Watch: Voting by Mail in Essex County
Party Affiliation Change
An affiliation change must be made at least 55 days prior to Primary Election date. Access the NJ State Political Party Affiliation Form (PDF).
Voters must register at least 21 days before an Election date. A New Jersey resident who is at least 17 years of age may pre-register to vote, but cannot vote until reaching the age of 18.
Important Dates - General Election on November 2, 2021:
- October 12:
Deadline to Register to Vote for the General Election. Download New Jersey Voter Registration Application
- October 23 – October 31:
In-Person Early Voting Period. Visit the Essex County Board of Elections website for a list of early voting sites.
- October 26:
Deadline to apply for a Vote-by-Mail Ballot by Mail for General Election; see below additional information on Vote by Mail and ways to submit your completed Vote By Mail Ballot!
- November 1 at 3:00 PM:
Deadline to apply for a Vote by Mail ballot in person at the Essex County Clerk’s office
- November 2:
Election Day - Polls are open from 6:00 AM-8:00 PM
Essex County Clerk (Including but not limited to Election Results, Voter Registration Application, Vote By Mail Application, Second Ballot Request Form) -- visit: Essex County Clerk
Contact the Essex County Clerk
Essex County Hall of Records
465 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Newark, NJ 07102