Sign up for a FREE seminar: Retrofitting Traditional Detention Basins with Green Infrastructure
Friday, April 23, 2021 from 10AM to 12NOON; via a virtual format. Offered through Rutgers Water Resources Program. Registration online at: Rutgers University: Green Infrastructure Champions Become a Green Infrastructure Champion for Livingston!
What is Stormwater?
Stormwater is rainwater or melted snow that runs off streets, lawns and other sites. When stormwater is absorbed into soil, it is filtered and ultimately replenishes aquifers or flows into streams and rivers.
What is Stormwater Management?
Stormwater Management is the effort to reduce runoff of rainwater or melted snow into streets, lawns and other sites, and to improve water quality.
In developed areas, solid surfaces such as pavement and roofs prevent rain and snow from naturally soaking into the ground. Instead, water runs rapidly into storm drains, sewer systems, and drainage ditches and can cause:
- Downstream flooding
- Stream bank erosion
- Increased turbidity (muddiness created by stirred up sediment) from erosion
- Habitat destruction of fish, wildlife, and aquatic environments
- Combined storm and sanitary sewer system overflows
- Infrastructure damage
- Threats to public health
- Contaminated streams, rivers and coastal water
Protecting our Water Supply
The good news is that it's easy for every person to make simple changes to protect our waters:
- Never dump oil, yard waste, animal waste or other litter and pollutants into the road or directly into catch basins.
- Consider natural and low-maintenance yard plantings and landscaping that will minimize runoff.
- Preserve the established trees in your neighborhood.
- Minimize the number of solid surfaces -- such as walkways, patios and asphalt driveways -- on your property.
For additional information, please review the following links:
2020 Letter from the Mayor: Stormwater Management (PDF) includes more easy ways to keep our water supply clean
The Township of Livingston is regulated under New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NJPDES) Stormwater Tier A General Permit No: NJ0141852.