Shining Star Sports League
The Shining Star Sports League is a wonderful developmental opportunity for your special needs individual. League activities focus on gross motor skills, fundamentals of each sport and socialization. Participants will enjoy both clinic style instruction and games in each season. The league uses modified equipment, game play and rules to enhance the learning and play experience. Each season is a new sport:
- Fall - Soccer & Volleyball
- Winter - Basketball & Floor Hockey
- Spring - T-Ball
Shining Stars Recreational Activities Programs Include:
- Backyard Games: Play a variety of backyard/BBQ/Picnic type games such as Bean Bag Toss, Horseshoes, Frisbee, Badminton, and Yard Darts.
- Board Games and Socialization: Play a variety of classic board games while learning to take-turns, frustration tolerance and interact with peers.
- Cooking: Basic foods will be prepared while learning to follow directions, identify and retrieve items needed and work together to make a snack. Socializing and eating will be the end result to this small group activity.
- Gym Games: Play a variety of gym games such as Kickball, Dodge-ball, Steel the Bacon, Scooter races, Freeze Tag, etc.
- Martial Arts - *contact us for recommendations*
- Music and Movement: Sing, play instruments and dance while socializing with friends. Focus is on following directions, listening to the beat and moving around to folk music.
- Nature Walk and Art: Explore nature on the Orchard Hill Trail, learn outdoor safety, following directions and gather items to make an art project. *Parent participation required.*
An I.E.P. is required for sports league and programs. For more information, please email the Adaptive Recreation Coordinator or call at 973-535-7925, ext. 403.
Shadows Needed for SYLS Programs
Adaptive Recreation “Shadow” Program
The Adaptive Recreation Program provides trained volunteers to “shadow” individuals during most recreation programs. The shadows work as a team or individually with the specific needs of the participants to help him or her adapt more comfortably within the parameters of the program. If you are interested in becoming a “shadow” or would like to volunteer to teach a workshop, fill out the application below and return to the SYLS department. Shadows are need throughout the year for Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer, programs. Training will be provided for all volunteers. For further information, email the Adaptive Recreation Coordinator at 973-535-7925, ext. 403.
After School Sports Program - For Children with Special Needs
A fun, relaxed after school sports and games program for children with special needs. No pre-registration required and non-residents are welcome. Program will begin mid - October through May . For more information call 973-970-4441. Visit www.facebook.com/lacdnj or www.livingstonlacd.org.
Livingston Advisory Committee on Disabilities
Under the supervision of the Livingston Department of Health, Welfare and Human Services, the Committee on Disabilities serves both as an advisory board concerned with issues within the Township relating to persons with disabilities and ADA compliance and also provides periodic activities to the disabled community in town. Contact 973-535-7961 for more information about the committee and its programs.